Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Core--abs and lower back

So I've been out on the bike a few times lately, which is good. I've also been doing some resistance training, which is also good.

I've always been a big believer in having strong abs and lower back (core), but I've recently come to experience that it really does make a difference in our riding. The workout I've been doing made me _feel_ the effects in my abs the following day, but it wasn't a soreness, per se. However, two days ago, I did the Bonus Workout on the Cyclo-Core DVD, and it has put a hurtin' on my tum tum. That is, unless someone really is stabbing me with knives.

OK, I can deal with the soreness. I've basically been inactive for 5 months. To be expected. But (finally getting to my point), the light bulb that was already on started to shine brighter yesterday when I rode.

When riding on anything resembling a rise or hill, I really felt the effort in my abs. Of course they were sore, but the fact that I noticed that while riding meant that riding was asking my abs to help out.

Ab and lower back work isn't fun. But it'll make you better.

Christian