Space is limited
For those who have been with me for more than a couple of years, y'all have probably noticed to some degree that I'm really back into the coaching gig. There are several reasons for this, but y'all aren't my therapist, and I wouldn't pay the bill...
Anyway, I've never been happier with the group of athletes I have. I mean that sincerely. These days I'm working with folks who just seem to get it, whatever that "it" is that I'm giving. There are newbies looking for their first full season of racing, and there are pros looking to bust through the ceiling of expectations. I'm having a good time with all of you.
In the last month, I've taken on several new athletes. I'm sure some of you can remember the enthusiasm you had at your first program and my enthusiasm to bring you in to what we are doing. This part is one of the highlights of my job--feeling that nervous, excited energy, even when it is November!
At one time (within the last 1-1.5 years), I was working with around 75 athletes. To tell you the truth, with that many folks, I was working with "clients" and not so much athletes. I was also publishing The Racing Post, working on the TXBRA board, getting a team launched, three kids, and my wife, Chloe, taking on a job that requires travel...
But now I've cut out the TXBRA stuff, someone else is publishing the magazine, and though I'm directly involved with the team again, now I have a specific role with the junior/U23 squad. And I'm now working with less than half the number of athletes I once was.
So now I just coach. And I tell you, I wake up fired up to answer emails, return calls, and hammer out programs. I'm getting to ride and workout with more of you, whereas I had to really back off racing and training and spending face time with y'all for a couple years because I was too busy coaching...we'll get more time just as soon as I mend up enough so that you don't have to wait on me during a ride.
That might not seem profound to you, but to me, I got into coaching not so I could write workouts in the boxes of a calendar and manage clients, but instead, I started this to really bring whatever talent out of you that we could and exploit it. That comes from getting to know you and figure you out.
Like I said, I'm not looking for a therapist. I simply wanted to tell you again how fired up I am to be working with you. I wasn't sure how I was going to come out of being hit by the car, but it turns out that I'm also excited about getting out there myself (and talk about starting from scratch!).
But here's the thing...I'm not going to load up on "clients" again. It was a disservice to the ones who are most loyal to our coaching family. So, with that said, I'm only going to take on 3-4 more athletes for 2006, and if I get my way (I will), it isn't necessarily the first few who want to sign up next.
Nope. I hope to work with folks who you know have been on the fence about coaching or a particular coach. I want to work with those who will fit in as part of the family. If you know of someone like this, send them this way. Space really is limited.
For those who have been with me for some time, thanks for sticking around. For those new around here, this is going to be one hell of a ride!
Let's gas up the truck!
Thank you,
Christian

<< Home